10 • 9 • 2013
• We are Kool-Aid mustache hyper to announce that pre-orders are open for our next title, the wonderful Undercastle by Feliz Lucia Molina! Which comes out just in time for jingling bells on December 1st!
Part Valley strip mall heaven memoir, part encyclopedia of transistor feelings, part lonely caregiver, part philosopher pen pal, and so totally the book the 90s owe the world, Feliz Lucia Molina's genre scuzzing debut "povel" Undercastle is a deft and defiant A-B-Up-Down combo of curiosity and intimacy that chews up all our screens and heroes and fills our breath with glint.
That poet you saw dressed up all fancy on The Colbert Report, Kenny Goldsmith, says this book is "really wonderful and important work," and that Feliz is "a great writer writing in the most contemporary of mediums." CAConrad and Alli Warren both also love this book, and you can read about their love on the Undercastle page!
And if we want you to pre-order, we've probably got something special cooked up? You're right, we do! If you pre-order, you can win a whole grabbag of stuff, including art scrolls, special chapbook essays about Japanese photographers, and thrift store surprises with your own special poem written on them! But hurry: nothing lasts forever, not even a family trying to make it in San Francisco.
Please pre-order this book because you wanted to be one of the people on Full House, and especially if you wanted to be Kimmy Gibbler! Go to the Undercastle page to pre-order!
• And pre-orders are still open for Quarry Light by Claudia Smith! Elizabeth Ellen says Claudia Smith "is like the sister I never had but always wanted" and Frederick Barthelme says Quarry Light is "a remarkable collection rife with strange doings, comings and goings, beings of the sort uncommonly troubled and beautiful in equal measures."
And here is the special part: we're donating $3 from every pre-order of Quarry Light to the Shafer Center for Crisis Intervention in Hattiesburg, MS, a non-profit organization dedicated to serving victims of sexual assault and co-victims of homicide and suicide.
Please consider pre-ordering and helping us meet our Shafer Center donation goal, which you can read about here.
• Also, you definitely want The Skin Team because how else will you put out the fire at the Power Company Building? How else will you recover the lightbulbs from the vomit? We say that this is a story of mesmerized violence and the shape shifting between love and sex and the singing that happens when the power goes out. Dennis Cooper says "This novel is something very rare, and it's about as beautiful as fiction can ever be."
• Speaking of what you want, we're about to print yet another printing of the runaway hit chapbook of 2013: nods. by Carrie Lorig, of which the swampbelly mystic Abe Smith says: "Lorig’s poems are sweet hail; are banjo locusts; are leather boomerangs bopping you where it matters. The poems hurt good. The poems pock; pock and puncture ... Powerful medicinewoman of the verses, Carrie Lorig is her very own planet, where the astronaut cows and them acrobat horses jitterbug, damn it."
• Coming in 2014: Letters to Lil Wayne, a book of letter-poems by Lauren Ireland, bawling and ballsy, poems that can see Rikers from their fire escape and report the sugar-flavored blood like who gives a fuck, confessing to Weezy that all spirit animals are bullshit and theirs is a giant knife.
• Stay tuned for more surprise news and projects! Some of them involve e-books! Some involve videos! Some involve real live people who will pet you and fix your lamp!